Shepherd’s Pie is an easy ground beef dinner recipe that is mixed with vegetables and topped with the best mashed potatoes cheese. It is the ultimate comfort food.
Shepherd’s Pie is an easy dinner recipe that doesn’t take long. You’ll find yourself making this easy family dinner recipe often because of how easy it is to make.
You can make it with our homemade mashed potato recipe or use up your leftover mashed potatoes.
WHAT IS SHEPHERD’S PIE?
Shepherd’s pie is a meat casserole that is topped with mashed potatoes and cooked in a pyrex dish.
It originated in England but there is a similar version called Cottage Pie that originated in Ireland.
And now it’s a very popular easy dinner in the United States.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SHEPHERD’S PIE AND COTTAGE PIE?
The main difference between Shepherd’s Pie and cottage Pie is the meat. S
Shepherd’s pie originated with lamb while cottage Pie originated with ground beef.
In America, Shepherd’s Pie term had been adopted with ground beef rather than lamb.
SHEPHERD’S PIE VARIATIONS
There are many different variations of Shepherd’s Pie.
So depending on what your family likes, you can make it a variety of ways.
Chop up your favorite vegetables such as corn, peas, onions, and carrots and add it to the ground beef or lamb. You can layer it with a gravy instead of cheese.
But it is always topped with Mashed Potatoes.
- Mashed (1/4 of the recipe
- 2 lbs Ground Beef
- 2 lbs Frozen Corn
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1 Beef Bullion Cube
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 slices White Cheddar Cheese
- In a large skillet, add Beef and minced garlic over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until no longer pink. Strain out the liquid.
- Put the cooked ground beef back in the skillet and add 1 cup of water and the beef Bullion Cube. Mix until Bullion dissolves in the water.
- Put the ground cooked beef in a pre-sprayed Pyrex. Evenly spread out then pack down tightly.
- In a sauce pot, boil water with salt and add Corn for approx. 1 minute. Strain the corn and put back in the sauce pan. Add butter and season with salt pepper. Mix until butter is melted.
- Spread the corn over the beef evenly, and then pack down tightly.
- Smear the mashed potatoes over the corn. Top with sliced cheddar cheese.
- Cook in oven for approx. 5 min at the highest your oven go (around 550). Remove from oven and let cool for 2-5 minutes and serve.